Sunday, August 8, 2010

Evan Johns and the H-Bombs
 "Mind of My Own" 

Oh, dear! You must not have a compatible version of flash!

Evan Johns and the H-Bombs
Giddy Up Girl
10" EP
(DECO Records, 1980)

I used to see this record at my local store when I was in high school, but knew nothing about the guy. In college, I went to see him play live with a friend of mine and was blown away. I remember remarking that his guitar sounded like barbed-wire being ripped through broken glass.

It made sense to me, darn it!

After that show, I bought what I could find, but this thing was elusive. It took me 'til the late 80s to find a copy, in a collectors' catalog. It's pretty splendiferous.

If you want something a little easier to find, my favorite of his most readily available albums is Rockit Fuel Only.

2 biased opinions:

Biki Honko said...

I love that song! Would that be considered rock a billy? IDK, all i DO know is i like it!

WARPed said...

Hey LB!!! Nice site!!!

R U in B'more? I am.

I was a big fan of Danny Gatton and Redneck Jazz back in the day, so I'm sure I saw/heard EJ somewhere along the line...although that was so long ago I don't remember!!!

I'll check out your MySpace when I get a chance.

-Andy