Sunday, August 1, 2010

Kevin Ayers
"Animals"

Kevin Ayers
Animals
7" single
(Columbia [Spain], 1982)

Around twenty years ago, my friend Audrey made a compilation tape of Kevin Ayers stuff for me, thinking I would like it.

I did. A lot. I knew the name, but had no idea who he was or what his music was like.

I started getting what I could find and eventually, several years later, found a website with a fairly extensive discography. This might be the rarest of the lot, though I don't know for certain. I do know, however, that it was released only in Spain, where Ayers was living at the time, in Deià. I also know that the first time I saw a copy come up on eBay, the winning bid was around $200! I just checked Quicken, and I paid $13.19 for my copy, shipping from Spain included.

HA!

There are no musician credits, but if that's not Kev's usual cohort, the amazing Ollie Halsall, on guitar, I'll eat my hat. I get to choose which hat, though.

3 biased opinions:

Biki Honko said...

This is a cool song!

Raphael Appleblossom said...

Is there a link I'm missing here? I'd love to hear this song again!

Lightning Baltimore said...

Sorry for taking so long! This song is once again streamable, provided your browser can handle HTML5 Audio.