Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pam Gilbert
"I'm Movin' On"

Oh, dear! You must not have a compatible version of flash!

Pam Gilbert
Overloaded Diesel
various artists LP
(Power Pak, 1973)

I found this one a few weeks ago, and the cover art compelled me to buy it. I could be wrong, but it looks like the work of cartoonist Charles Rodrigues, who did hilariously disgusting cartoons for the National Lampoon back in the 20th Century.

I'm not a huge country music fan, but there're definitely some great cuts on here. It appears that it was done with a group of session musicians, with a different vocalist for each track (well, Tiny Harris got two tracks . . . bitch), hence my labeling it a various artists release rather than a compilation. It also looks like the kinda thing that was pressed up to sell at . . . truckstops! I'm just glad this copy made the (near) forty year trip through the desert from the truckstop to my fave local store.

I tried to do a bit of research on Pam Gilbert but came up empty, other than to discover she also released this song as a single (there's a copy of it for sale on Amazon). She definitely bears a resemblence to Wanda Jackson, Queen of Rockabilly, don't you agree?

The liner notes were also an incentive to snatch this puppy up (I converted them from all uppercase, and, yes, you're welcome):

Truck drivers move across this country in such numbers that it would be difficult to count them. They keep the great mass of cargo moving. Without them it would be an impossible task. Through any kind of weather, day or night they're always there. It is to this special breed of men that we dedicate this album. But, you don't have to be a trucker to enjoy the great songs in this album, for just as the trucker's have deep roots in keeping America moving, the songs in this album have deep roots in country music. Though the songs are about trucks and related things, the country music fan will find an "Overloaded Diesel" full of fantastic country music.


Yes, the image on the Amazon listing for this album is my copy. I uploaded it, since there was none. My copy, however, is not for sale.

1 biased opinion:

Anonymous said...

Pam Gilbert is now Pam Fisher...her and her husband Mark sing Southern Gospel...they have website!