Saturday, September 4, 2010

Boy Elroy
"The Legend of Farfel Knugren"

Boy Elroy
This Is Not Art
LP
(His Boy Records, 1983)

These Minneapolis boys released just this one album, to the best of my knowledge. I have to confess I know very little about them as they didn't get all that much press back when this was released. Nonetheless, the reviews I read were interesting, so I bought the first (and possibly only) copy I saw at the time. The songs are speedy, hard and . . . odd, hence the artcore tag below. I just Googled this album, and saw folks selling it for anywhere from $3 to over $250. Holy crap! Regardless of collector pricing, it's a fun album.

5 biased opinions:

Biki Honko said...

awesome!

quozzimo said...

I actually went to school briefly with the drummer. This dude broke graphite sticks at a party it was sweet!

Anonymous said...

For the record, this is The Legend of Farfel Knugren, not Life is Good.

I remember graphite sticks.

Lightning Baltimore said...

OMG . . . How embarrassing!! I've fixed it. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

I also knew these guys in school. They might have been the best actual musicians in the MN punk scene at that point. Tim (the drummer) was always working out freaky time signatures and they were really looking at say Gang of Four and Dead Kennedys, and trying to play faster and more complicated. Kind of incredible to hear them play, just at like stupid keg parties.