Monday, October 8, 2012

The Sexual Side Effects
"An Hour Ago"

Uh, oh! You either don't have the Flash plug-in installed, or you have it disabled.
Otherwise, there'd be a cute lil' streaming audio player on the left, rather than this message.

BandcampAmazonAn Hour Ago - High Maintenance - EP

The Sexual Side Effects
High Maintenance
CD EP
(Effective Entertainment, 2012)

As I've written plenty of times before, I love bargain bins and free bins. A couple of weeks ago, I was in a local shop and spotted the debut EP by local combo The Sexual Side Effects sitting on a shelf of free stuff. I'd heard of them, but knew nothing about them other than leader Amber Taylor is a trans woman, i.e. the oft ignored and/or maligned T in LGBT. Now, in the afternoon, I often play fetch with the doggie while I hang out on the deck and listen to CDs, so that evening the two of us gave it a listen. Well, I listened and he screamed at me to throw the ball when I would pause too long after being given it (i.e., one nanosecond).

Musically, it's a bit more mainstream than my usual tastes, but after the second listen, the songs had wormed their way into my head quite successfully. In fact, it was a tough decision which song to feature, as I dig all of them.


NOTA BENE: The top Buy MP3 button will take you to the link for the song on Bandcamp, whereas the lower one will direct you to the download on Amazon. The iTunes button will, shockingly enough, take you to the iTunes link for it.

1 biased opinion:

Biki Honko said...

Im stunned! This song is so very very mainstream sounding, but I adore this! I might just have to buy it. Good pick!