Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Motörhead
"(We Are) The Road Crew"


Motörhead
Ace of Spades
LP
(Bronze Records, 1980)


Why do I love this solo? Well, for starters, it's nice and noisy. I love a good wha-wha workout, and guitarist Fast Eddie Clarke can't keep his foot off the darn thing on this song. What sends it over the top for me, though, is what happens at roughly the -0:45 mark. Eddie stops playing, but his guitar is still on and emitting howls of feedback for 15 or so seconds before he starts playing again. I can't help but picture him jamming away then momentarily passing out, mid-solo, when the speed in his bloodstream wears off.

This album was one of my Christmas presents from my dad when I was 17. I knew it was due to be released sometime not too long beforehand, so I begged him for it, and he came through. A few months later, they came to America for the first time, touring with Ozzy Osbourne's Blizzard of Ozz. They were the openers, of course, but they blew Ozzy off the stage.

This is tagged magazine discovery because I first heard of Motörhead when I was 16 and their second album, Overkill, was reviewed alongside the lone Hawklords album, in issue 39 of Trouser Press. The reviewer savaged them, so when I found one of their records not long after, of course, I had to buy it. 'Twas a wise decision, though I had to check the speed on my first listen, 'cause there was just no way humans could play that fast!

4 biased opinions:

Biki Honko said...

Ok, answer me this will ya? How come this is roughly the same age as the Kevin Ayers song, but somehow doesnt feel as dated as the Ayers? I love howling feedback, love love love it! At one point in time I wanted an guitar and amp for only one reason, FEEDBACK!

James Von Sutekh said...

Seriously?
You choose this over the title track, or Love Me Like a Reptile or Live to Win?
Wow - you must really really really love that guitar solo.

Lightning Baltimore said...

@Biki: The Ayers song was from 1974 and this from 1980. It might only be six years, but punk rock hit in the interim. In addition, they're totally different types of music.

@Sutekh: It's Favorite Guitar Solos Week. So, yes, I do love the solo.

:-P

If it was favorite song from that album, I'd probs go with the title track. If it was fave Motörhead song overall, it'd be "Overkill." Same goes for album, really.

Brushback said...

I put this on my mp3 player and blasted it 5 or 6 times in a row while I was driving down to Milford to see Guitar Wolf last weekend. Thanks...