Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mark Eric
"Night of the Lions"

January 24, 2011 was a banner day! Not only did I pick up the previously featured records by Geoffrey Landers and ArTOMaTik, I also decided to risk $3 on the album featuring today's song. As usual, it looked interesting and the price was right.

A Midsummer Day's Dream turned out to be, not suprisingly, a sunshine pop album with a decided Beach Boys influence. It also turned out to be pretty darn fantastic. As faithful readers may have noticed, I do have a bit of a soft spot for pop . . . right at the top of my skull, so please be gentle with me. Now, I've called it sunshine pop, an actual term!, but there is very much an air of melancholy about the album as a whole; today's song being one of the exceptions. I guess that shouldn't be unexpected, as the Beach Boys were no strangers to sad songs. The thing is, though, I've never really been a big Beach Boys fan, and I am in love with this album! Don't tell my husband, OK? I don't need him getting needlessly jealous; it's not like I can have a serious relationship with a hunk . . . of polyvinyl chloride.

Sadly, A Midsummer Day's Dream was the only album ever released by Mark Eric [Malmborg]. Luckily, though, it's been reissued on CD not once but twice! The first time with eight bonus tracks and the second with sixteen! I've got it in my cart at Amazon, and, yes, I will be buying it!

2 biased opinions:

Biki Honko said...

holy cats and ants batman! that song sucked so bad, i dont have the words to describe it!

bing stills said...

Sounds like a Bob Welch outtake.