Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ruins + 梅津和時
"B.U.G."

Today's jukebox entry is from a live cassette released by the Japanese prog punk duo powerhouse Ruins in-between their third and forth albums, Graviyaunosch and Hyderomastgroningem. 梅津和時 is saxophonist Kazutoki Umezu, but I must confess I know nothing about him other than his bio is impressive, and his playing on this release is ferocious.

The studio version of B.U.G. originally appeared on Ruins III, the first full-length Ruins record. It's available as a bonus track (remixed, however) on the Shimmy-Disc release of the second Ruins album, Stonehenge. It's a little over one third as long as the version presented here, however, as they really stretched their improv muscles on this date with 梅津和時.

Funny aside: When we first got Stonehenge at my college radio station, on LP, I thought B.U.G. was skipping, and actually got up from my desk to check the record player.

5 biased opinions:

Biki Honko said...

Why do you seem to like the worst of the Japanese music scene? What about showcasing some Seatbelts, or Maximum the Hormone, or yeah even something way mainstream like The Gazette or Miyavi?

Jerome said...

Hello,
What a GREAT surprise ! I'm researching this recording since a (very) long time because I love Kazutoki Umezu music & projects.
Is it possible to share the other titles on the cassette ?

All the best,

Jerome

Lightning Baltimore said...

Hi Jerome!

I've just added a link to the release page for this tape that I created on Discogs. If you click 『Ruins + 梅津和時』above (in the post), it'll take you there. All the song titles and track times are included.

Jerome said...

Hi ! OK but could you upload other titles because this cassette is out of print since a long time... Or I can buy it to you if you want !

All the best,

Jerome

Lightning Baltimore said...

Send me an e-mail, Jerome. The address is in my profile.