Thursday, May 5, 2011

Black Flag
"Damaged II"


Black Flag
Damaged
LP
(Unicorn/SST Records, 1981)


Black Flag's Greg Ginn . . .

Whereas Snakefinger played the wrong notes in the right places and Ollie Halsall was unhinged, Ginn was just . . . alien. On the one hand, his solos sound almost like completely random collections of notes. On the other, they work! I watched him closely a few times at shows; it may have seemed like chaos, but I think he knew exactly what he was doing. I also observed him practicing scales before soundcheck when a friend of mine promoted a Black Flag show.

Picking a single song wasn't easy, so I went with this one as it's one of my favorites and he solos just about non-stop for the entire thing.


I cheated on the pic again. I own the original pressing of this album, with the tiny Unicorn logo in the lower right as in the photo, but it's the middle of the night. I get my best results photographing album covers (since they are too big for my scanner) on bright, sunny days, when I can use natural light. I'd not had a chance in the last few days to go take pictures, so I was naughty. Please, forgive me. Or don't. Whatever.

:-P

No biased opinions . . . yet