Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Convertible
"No Thoughts"

Convertible
3
CD
(monkey., 2007)


I've featured the music of Hans Platzgumer a couple of times already, so please see the entries for Capers and Böhm ohne Köb for more info about the man, himself.

Convertible started life as a reincarnation of his power trio H.P. Zinker. It was to be a mixture of live instruments (à la HPZ) and electronica (his main thrust since the demise of HPZ). Somewhere along the way, however, the decision was made to change the name to Convertible. It was the right thing to do, as they shared no former members of HPZ and the sound was utterly different (no traces of metal, for example).

The first two Convertible albums, Convertible and Frailty of Win – Strength of Defeat, followed the initial design. With the home of today's song, 3, however, the electronics were ditched completely. The change took me some getting used to, but I now love it.

Convertible's fourth album, ALH84001, was released late last year, and further strips things down by unplugging the amps. It's completely acoustic, and completely fantastic. I only got it a couple of weeks ago, and it's quickly become one of my faves of 2010.

I really must work on my post of 2010 faves, huh?

2 biased opinions:

VirginiaM said...

great cover

Biki Honko said...

I love the extremely lyrical playing, but whoever is singing ruins it for me. So nasal and rather toneless compaired to the music.

And the cover? eek! gave me a headache.