Sunday, September 30, 2012

Jackyl
"Take a Piece of Me"

Uh, oh! You either don't have the Flash plug-in installed, or you have it disabled.
Otherwise, there'd be a cute lil' streaming audio player on the left, rather than this message.

Jackyl
I Stand Alone
CD single
(Geffen, 1993)

Around twenty years ago, Jackyl's first single, I Stand Alone, came bustin' outta my car radio and kicked my ass. It was followed quickly by more hits from their eponymous debut album, like The Lumberjack, When Will It Rain, and Down on Me. It wasn't too long before I bought a copy and ended up loving the whole thing. Even though I'm not a huge fan of Southern Rock, their rousing crossbreeding of AC/DC and Lynyrd Skynyrd just plain hits my spot.

They've released a buncha albums since, and just came out with their latest, Best in Show. By the way, if you get it at BestBuy (click the title a few words back!), you get two extra songs, plus a DVD with a long interview with the band about their history along with a few videos. It's not quite as good as their previous album, When Moonlight and Dynamite Collide, which made my official Top Ten of 2010 list, but it's most definitely a winner.

Today's selection is one of their few rarities, an exclusive b-side from the German maxi-single of the aforementioned I Stand Alone. Dig it!


PS: ZZ Top's killer new album La Futura also has an exclusive BestBuy version with two extra tracks. Jump on it!

2 biased opinions:

Biki Honko said...

the song was killer good, until i tired of lead singers high pitched voice. its just grating on the nerves. but the band behind mr. wedgie is kick ass for sure.

JoJo said...

I like everything about it 🤘