Monday, June 6, 2011

Kim Salmon and The Surrealists
"Je t'aime"

Kim Salmon and The Surrealists
Just Because You Can't See It . . .
. . . Doesn't Mean It Isn't There

LP
(Black Eye Records, 1989)


I'm finally starting to hopefully feel a bit better, so onward with the very long "week" of cover tunes. Today's selection was inspired by one of my reader/listeners asking recently at a dinner party if the original version of this song was for real, since it's rather stupid. I think that's the word she used. She knows who she is, so she's most welcome to correct me here. We were discussing French pop music, btw, and the original of this was written by Serge Gainsbourg.

I've got three different versions of this tune by Kim Salmon and The Surrealists, and I decided to go with the studio version from their second album. There are also live versions on the St. Valentine's Day Massacre EP, which came as a bonus disc with initial copies of the Australian pressing of their Sin Factory album, and on the Kneel Down at the Altar of Pop reunion show CDR from a few years back.

2 biased opinions:

VirginiaM said...

I believe the term used was "stupide."

Biki Honko said...

Are the other versions of this song better?

Glad to hear your on the mend again.