Saturday, February 11, 2012

Gift Horse
"Men of God"

Uh, oh! You either don't have the Flash plug-in installed, or you have it disabled.
Otherwise, there'd be a cute lil' streaming audio player on the left, rather than this message.

Gift Horse
Gift Horse
CDR EP
(self-released, 2008)

What can I say; I'm a sucker for cool type fonts. The artwork of this lil' puppy snagged my eye as I perused the free bin at my fave local store, due in large part to the font used for the band name. When I popped it in the player, I found my gut feeling was right, and 'twas a keeper. I very much dig the mellow yet heavy sounds they produce. The guitar on this track is pretty crushing in parts.

Since this intro EP, they've released a full length album, Mountain of Youth, and appeared on a compilation album put out by local institution Wuxtry Records for Record Store Day 2011, along with R.E.M. and a buncha other folks from the Athens/Atlanta nexus. I put Athens first, as that is the grounds for stomping of the Gift Horse boys. Also, I believe the Athens Wuxtry was opened before the one in Decatur, which is in the Atlanta area.

NOTA BENE: Gift Horse re-recorded two of the five songs from this EP for Mountain of Youth. This is not one of them.

No biased opinions . . . yet